I cannot tell you how much I LOVE home linens. I believe you can make your home, from a dorm room to a mansion, peaceful simply with calming fabrics. When you really consider it, some one place in your home is your solace. For me, my two most comforting places are my kitchen and my bed. I love to have items in these two places that allow me to “escape” from my everyday routine. When I am home, I want to feel cozy, comfortable, and clean. Therefore, I put a lot of effort into the linens that I use in these two rooms hoping to achieve all three of these things. Since it is about bedtime, you can guess where I am going with this post. :)
List of tips and tricks:
1. I obsess over mixing sheet sets. I have several fitted sheets that are in neutral colors. These could be ones I've bought alone or pieces from my other complete sets. I prefer to use flat sheets in a variety of textures and patterns to add on top of the fitted sheet. Also, I love homemade quilts so those are for me, a must.
2. On top of the bed, I love solid colored bedspreads or duvets. Often, these catch my eye the most. Using solids on top gives me a blank canvas. In these pictures, you might not be able to pick out the duvet because they are somewhat small. Nevertheless, it is white with a faint sea green trim.
3. I put the combination in the pictures together quickly and it gave my room an instant update. When you think you need a quick makeover, try this! You probably have numerous pieces in your closet that could make an adorable spread.
4. Remember that you have quite a lot of flexibility with the prices of these types of home items. It is your choice. You can spend a lot or a little on brand or thread count to create a unique look. Nevertheless, you will be left with quite the classic spread. Thus, your bedroom will have a look of structure and serenity.
5. If you decide to go out shopping for a few new pieces, take someone along to suggest ideas. They might see a working combination that you do not. You might also want to jot down a list of what you do already have as a quick reminder.
6. The cotton commercial says it all for my fabric choice, “The touch, the feel of cotton, the fabric of our lives.” Enough said.
7. Consider searching for bed linen combinations as a time when you do not have to feel ashamed to browse through granny’s closet. There are often vintage printed items hidden in places you least expect. If this is your style, you can bring these family heirlooms to a new light with a few fresh items for a vintage classic appeal.
8. I somewhat overdo it on fabric softener.
9. PICK and BUY what you LOVE. How many times do I say this? Haha! But, if you see a pattern that is calling your name, get it if it goes with your room design. You can make it work with solids and/or neutral patterns. Do not be afraid! Just keep them in non-clashing shades and you are likely fine. Refer back to Neutral Speak post for further detailed explanation.
10. Shop clearance for neutrals. Often, the bedding clearance section has plenty of neutral pieces such as fitted sheets, flat sheets, and sets of pillowcases.
11. Here is how I made the combination in the pictures. The striped flat sheet is pale blue, cream, and a faint yellow stripe. I took a pale blue fitted sheet and made it my base. I added the flat sheet on top. Then, I chose yellow pillowcases, a neutral brown print, and the striped cases for my pillows. I placed a small white square pillow on front of all of the pillows to polish off this combination. I wish I could share all of the ones that I try! Maybe more on that later.
The combination in the pictures are items from the following:
Fitted Sheet: Target
Flat Sheet: TJ Maxx
Brown and Cream King Pillowcases: Land's End
Pale Yellow Owl Pillowcases: Etsy
Striped Pillowcases: TJ Maxx