Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Neutral Speak for Men and Women







Hello, again! Man, this blogging thing is really getting addicting. I am loving every minute of it. I just wanted to take a few minutes and talk about the power of neutral clothing items. Neutrals are a MUST in a complete wardrobe. They function as your go to items basically, the staples that make your outfit fabulous. I know, I'm being so cheesy. There are two separate categories of neutrals I want to discuss: neutrals and semi-neutrals. It is important to distinguish between these groups of colors because it can help you mix multiple combinations in your wardrobe. With this type of color palette as a base, you literally have endless possibilities. This post might seem simple to some of you. However, for those of you that have asked me to work on a color palette post, keeping these shades in mind is extremely helpful. The next time you go shopping, think about adding the colors that you do not have. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not afraid of a bold color or print. What I want you to think about is how much these items can really mean to a stylish look. They help you wear more bold items. The pictures I'm posting are to show you possible combinations that you don't have to be afraid to try. I have to admit, when I'm out shopping, I see many people commit fashion feaupaxs because they are confusing these two categories. Often, I see men and women put together boring outfits by combining two neutrals with no other colors or prints. At that moment, what I really am craving to do is help them out. I just want to say, "Help me help you!" Its like seeing a little old lady trying to get something down from the top shelf in the grocery store; I'm going to be the one to help her get that last box of Jiffy pie crust mix.

Here are just a few examples so you get the gist:


Neutrals: These are technically standard colors that cannot be mistaken for more complex shades
White
Blacks
Browns
Greys
Navy
Kakhi/Cream/Tan-I consider these neutrals of their own-since you can combine them with anything

Semi-Neutrals: Colors that aren't your everyday black business suit shades but are neutral enough that they can be paired with another color
Army Green
Wine
Dark Purple
Deep Turquoise
(yes, I'm in the mood for fall shades)

P.S. There are neutral and semi-neutral prints as shown in some of the pictures. These patterns are muted and allow for more bold color options when making outfits. It is also important that I clarify that when looking at prints such as these, it is not a good option to combine two prints together (pretty obvious)
Ok, lets look at options. *Technically, you can pair any NEUTRAL with any SEMI-NEUTRAL. All of these colors work together. *
And sorry guys I don't have any guy outfits at the moment, Billy is doing all his laundry here. Anyway, just follow the color schemes and you boys can figure it out!

Photo 1:
I have paired ONE neutral print (grey with black and brown stripes etc) with a bold coral blazer

Photo 2:
An example of a neutral dress- ALL three neutrals in ONE dress

Photo 3:
An example of a neutral print-TWO neutrals together

Phoyo 4:
Examples of polka dot neutral print-TWO neutrals in ONE print

Photo 5:
A pair of cream winter wool pants with a dark purple top and a deep turquoise cardigan-ONE neutral and TWO semi-neutrals

Photo 6:
I have paired a pair of navy blue dress pants with a cream shirt and a turquoise sweater. I have used ONE neutral, ONE semi-neutral, and then a bold color.

If you will notice, I am making a complete outfit by having one item be the focal point no matter what color it is. This makes your look effortless and classic. I am using the endless possibilities of these neutrals to make several outfits that work all sorts of ways. When you have a few minutes, explore your closet and find the neutrals that you have. I would suggest organizing and separating your neutrals from the other bold pieces of your wardrobe. This way, you have your go to staple colors and you can mix and match from there.
Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment