Friday, August 26, 2011

Homemade Cinnamon Chips













Oh, me. I have an obsession with cinnamon. I'll just come on out and admit that I'm president of cinnamon sugar anonymous. If you're interested in joining just let me know. Between that and my love affair with TJ Maxx, I don't have much going for me. I'm an addict and a terrible girlfriend. Whew, I'm heavy on the jokes today. A few weeks back, I was searching through a friend's local cookbook. When my eyes fell on this recipe, I immediately went to the store for supplies. If any of you have ever had Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips, these are exactly like them AND homemade to boot. Being the little conniver I am, I adapted the recipe somewhat. I know, you are smart, and you guessed that already. These little jewels are delicious and last for several days in a tight jar. And, let me not forget to tell you how inexpensive this recipe is. I did the math because I love you. Using my bag of 20 tortillas for $.98, I was able to make 160 triangles. So, for just a few more cents added for the amount of cinnamon sugar you use, you've made a billion chips for less than $2.00! Nothing better than a great recipe that's easy on the wallet. I hope you all have a great weekend! If you're stopping by the grocery store, grab these four ingredients and you won't be sorry!
Cinnamon Sugar: (Always better if made from scratch, I believe.)
1 cup sugar
1 HEAPING tbsp. cinnamon
Directions:
1.) Shake or stir to combine, double as needed, store in airtight container. You use almost this entire amount if you make all 160 chips.
Cinnamon Chips:
Flour Tortillas
Butter Substitute (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter-I use the tub, imitation butter helps to keep the chips dry after baking)
Cinnamon Sugar
Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350.
2.) Place flour tortillas on a cutting board and cut into triangles like you are slicing a pizza. I usually make a large stack and am able to cut 8 triangles from one tortilla
3.) Melt butter substitute in microwave.
4.) Lightly dip triangles into butter and place on a baking sheet. I always use Pam before I lay them down.
5.) When a baking sheet is full, sprinkle as much cinnamon sugar on top of chips.
6.) Bake at 350 for around 15 minutes until chips are golden brown and crispy.
7.) Double as needed.

Image courtesy: sugarmamanyc.blogspot.com, chow.com

1 comment:

  1. They are so yummy... I'm eating them right now!

    I made them in hurricane preperation on Saturday and was thrilled with how they turned out. I will say though that the cooking time for mine was much shorter than suggested. It was actually closer to 8 minutes, but it's a gas stove so maybe that sped it up? Anywho, loved them and ate/am eating a gazillion!

    ReplyDelete