Monday, August 22, 2011

Red Velvet Recipe, Of Course!



Yes, I’ve done it again! I'm typing out another staple in my household, cake, cake, cake. This red velvet cake recipe is way to good to keep a secret any longer. I can barely sit still as I type it. I would walk miles for this cake whether to get a freshly baked slice or to burn off four of the cupcakes I just ate. These sweet little cupcakes have become the most requested item at our house when we host parties. What a delightful compliment it is! I promise, I can and sometimes do make other cake recipes. However, none can really compare to the taste of this delicious confection! I know this recipe is a little long and has several ingredients, but hear me out, it is worth every penny and second you spend. The recipe makes a three layer red velvet cake or around 32 cupcakes. When you gain ten pounds, don't say I didn't warn you.
Ingredients:
➢ Vegetable oil for pans
➢ 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
➢ 1 ½ cups sugar
➢ 1 tsp. baking soda
➢ 1 tsp. kosher salt
➢ 1 tsp. cocoa powder
➢ 1 cup lowfat buttermilk (Purity if possible)
➢ 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
➢ 2 large eggs at room temperature
➢ 2 tbsp. red food coloring (is also equal to 1 ounce)
➢ 1 tsp. white distilled vinegar
➢ 1 tsp. vanilla extract and maybe a few extra drops ☺
Icing:
➢ Crushed pecans for garnish
➢ 1 pound cream cheese softened/ two blocks of Philly 1/3 fat cream cheese
➢ 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
➢ 4 cups confectioner’s sugar-DO NOT use Great Value brand-it never makes a stiff icing at my house!
➢ 1 tsp. vanilla and maybe a few extra drops here as well
Directions for Cake or Cupcakes: (Review depending on which one you're making)
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder very lightly. In another bowl, (I use electric mixer for wet) whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
2.) Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients while mixer is on low. Make a smooth batter and do not over mix.
3.) If making a cake, grease and flour cake pans as follows. Pour a small amount of oil into cake pans and thoroughly coat pan by hand. Place a dusting of flour in the pan and tap the pan around until it is covered in flour. Distribute batter evenly across three cake pans. Cake baking time depends on oven, usually around 18-20 minutes for me.
4.) If making cupcakes, place liners in cupcake tin. There is no need to grease the liners because this batter is oily and moist. I use an old-fashioned ice cream scooper to measure out cupcakes. Cooking time depends on oven, usually 15-17 minutes for me.
5.) With either cake or cupcake, insert toothpick into cake to check to see if cakes are complete. Toothpick must come out clean to ensure proper cooking time.
6.) Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Do not ice a hot cake.
Directions for Icing:
1.) With mixer, cream butter and sugar, and cream cheese until thoroughly incorporated.
2.) Place mixer on high until icing becomes light and fluffy. Sometimes this takes up to five minutes.
3.) Move mixer back to low and add vanilla. Increase speed to high again and whip a few more times. Store in the refrigerator until cakes/cupcakes are cool and ready to ice. Can be stored for up to three days.

P.S. This recipe started out as one from Cake Man Raven, but I adapted it according to my tastes. :) Nothing like a good switch up on a classic cake recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment