Monday, June 13, 2011

Colorful Caprese Salad



Hello, again! Life has been so busy these past few weeks. It has all been fun, but the blog was neglected as I attended weddings, showers, and hosted three bridal events at my home. I have traveled all over my great state and beyond that, too. I just cannot get enough of entertaining and events. Life is hard when you're a jet setter. :) With the thoughts of delicious dishes I've had lately, I'd like you to have the recipe for my Caprese Salad. It is super-de-dooper simple. You will make it time and time again because it proves perfect for just about every occasion. One picture above is from Christmas two years ago when I cut out the mozzarella with cookie cutters ( I wanted the shapes to really stand out so, I poured dressing on top once it was served). The other picture was taken at a casual dinner party. I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do! Make sure to whip up one of these very soon especially while the tomatoes are perfect!
Ingredients:
Fresh tomatoes of any kind-usually two large ones for a salad for four people
Fresh mozzarella-available in the specialty cheese section of any grocery store
Fresh basil leaves-available at farmer's markets or in the produce section at grocery stores-NO DRIED!
Wishbone Salad Spritzer in Balsamic Vinagrette-not too heavy and not too light-I believe its the perfect combination!
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Directions:
1.) Slice tomatoes to a medium thickness
2.) Slice mozzarella to a medium thickness in rounds (or you can get crafty with those cookie cutters!)
3.) Wash and tear basil leaves off of stems just before you are ready to plate the dish-don't leave these out too long in the open air because they tend to brown easily (especially here in the southern heat!)
4.) On a large serving dish, lay tomatoes out and spritz with dressing and add a small sprinkle salt and pepper. Continue to add mozzarella then basil in a layered way, spritz with dressing, salt and pepper again until the salad is fully assembled.
5.) This salad can be arranged in numerous ways, there is no "right" way to do it. Just get creative and remember, it is best when served at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment