Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Musical Cooking

A picture of me with southern food. Now there's something you don't see everyday.
Musical chairs, eh? Not today. It's a fun game, but I'm all about musical cooking. Get me some oldies going while I'm chopping vegetables and I'm working faster by each measure, or measure, however you see it. I've heard all sorts of studies about listening to music while you complete tasks. It helps me in many ways besides cooking. I like to listen to it while I write and clean. It makes things move faster and better, in my opinion.
I have a cooking playlist on my Mac. I switch it up depending on what I'm cooking. If it's southern, I'm "Patsy-Clining" it all the way through. Holiday meal? Christmas music. If you haven't ever done this, I would encourage you to start. It is a great tool in the craft of cooking. In my mind it ranks right up there with tempering and tasting.  It energizes you and sometimes makes you feel more confident if you're trying a new recipe. It's the background music that ends in a drumroll to a perfect dish.
If you don't already have one, I encourage a SPOTIFY account. It's a free app download for any techno device. You can listen to any music you want for free. You just can't "take it with you," i.e. make a cd. It's ITunes minus the $.99. You can follow social media friends to see what they listen to or, share your favorite songs with the social media world.  Feel free to look me up if you decide on one.
I love to cook. I love music. Musical cooking, genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment